OK, you’re scheduled for surgery, and you take herbals.
Does your surgeon know what you take?
Be smart. If you use any of the herbals on this list, tell your surgeon.
- Danshen: May cause bleeding
- Dong quai: May cause bleeding
- Echinacea: May interfere with immune functioning, may alter effectiveness of immunosuppressant drugs given after transplant surgery
- Ephedra: May cause abnormal heartbeat, may cause extreme high blood pressure and coma if combined with certain antidepressants and anesthesia
- Feverfew: May cause bleeding
- Garlic: May cause bleeding, may interfere with normal blood clotting
- Ginger: May cause bleeding
- Ginkgo: May cause bleeding
- Ginseng: May cause bleeding, may cause rapid heartbeat, may cause high blood pressure
- Goldenseal: May cause or worsen high blood pressure
- Kava: May enhance sedative effects of anesthesia
- Licorice (not including licorice candy): May increase blood pressure
- Senna: May cause electrolyte imbalance
- St. John’s wort: May increase or decrease the effects of some drugs used during and after surgery
- Valerian: May interfere with the effects of anesthesia
Thanks to MayoClinic.com.
9/10/06 11:26 JR