Consumer alert: More bad food from China

A frozen product labeled monkfish is being recalled after 2 people in the Chicago area ate it and became ill.

It was labeled “monkfish,” but it contained tetrodotoxin, a life-threatening toxin found in pufferfish. Cooking or freezing doesn’t destroy tetrodotoxin.

The fish were distributed to wholesalers in Illinois, California, and Hawaii.

Let’s see. Here’s a monkfish

Here’s a puffer fish.

Oh yeah. They look the same.

Want to read more about tainted food and medicine from China?

Go here, here, and here.

Are we feeling safe?

5/24/07 20:28 JR

Hi, I’m JR

John Russo, Jr., PharmD, is president of The MedCom Resource, Inc. Previously, he was senior vice president of medical communications at, a complementary and alternative medicine website.