The diet-acne relationship is considered important in traditional Chinese medicine.
Researchers from The Chinese University of Hong Kong identified several associations.
First, the details.
- 322 entrants to a university in Hong Kong participated.
- The clinical severity of their acne using the Global Acne Grading System was documented.
- The participants’ yin and yang scores were recorded and divided into a yin-predominant group and a yang-predominant group.
And, the results.
- No association between diet and acne was found when the participants were considered as a homogenous group.
- In yin-predominant group:
- Food from street stalls were significantly associated with a lower incidence of acne.
- In yang-predominant group:
- Desserts and fresh fruit juices were significantly associated with a higher incidence of acne.
- Dairy and soy products were significantly associated with a lower incidence of acne.
The bottom line?
Generally, anything that is moving, ascending, bright, progressing, hyperactive, including functional disease of the body, pertains to yang. The characteristics of stillness, descending, darkness, degeneration, hypoactivity, including organic disease, pertain to yin.
6/25/09 17:02 JR